11 February 2009

Shwerma?

I was just reading in my Bible. Today I read John 4. The woman at the well. We all know the story. Classic. Meaningful. But today something new popped into my head when I read it, and it was NOT a particularly deep thought.

"When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?" (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)"

When I read this part in parenthesis (yes, it was in parenthesis in the Bible), I instantly thought in my head "Oh right, Jesus was by himself at the well because the disciples had gone into town to get some lunch... probably they were just picking up some shwerma to bring back for lunch.

(Time out!!!)... WHAT?! Did Jesus eat shwerma? I mean, nowadays, people all over this region of the world eat shwerma. There are shwerma stands ALL OVER the city here. Shwerma is on every 'menu' at every restaurant. It's thee go-to food. Hamburger is to America is what Shwerma is to the entire Middle East/North Africa. But did they have shwerma before propane fired spits? Did the disciples bring Jesus back a yummy chicken shwerma? Did they fry the meat up with some tomatoes and onions before shoveling it onto fresh bread with yummy garlic sauce?

Probably not. But I wonder if in his mind (since Jesus mind can cross all lines of 'time' as we know it)... he was wishing technology was a little further a long and that he COULD have a propane-spit-fired chicken shwerma for lunch. he he. I'll ask Him later.

No comments:

Post a Comment