24 June 2012

Homemade Foaming Hand Soap… Organic!

In this earlier post when I went on a rant about skincare products and how bad so many of them are for our bodies and health, I said I’d show you how I make my own organic foaming hand soap.

So, a little later than I had anticipated… here that is!

IMG_7087

Here is what you need:

1. Pure Castile Soap

2. An empty foaming handsoap bottle (I just purchased one from Aldi and dumped out the handsoap that came in it but most houses probably already have these sitting around.)

3. Water

4. Measuring cups. Or not. This isn’t exactly a science.

Now, the measurements depend on the size of your handsoap bottle. But a general rule is about 4 parts water to 1 part castile soap. (For me, that’s about 2 oz. castile soap and 8 oz water.) Pour them together in the bottle, give it a shake and that’s it.

That’s it!

IMG_7089

If you like, you can add a few drops of essential oil for fragrance.

Now, please note… this isn’t the silky super-yummy smelling hand soap you are probably accustomed to using, like I was. It’s a bit of an adjustment to get to used to the feeling of it.  It definitely doesn't have a luxurious feel. But as much as the kiddos and I wash our hands daily in this dusty place… I feel good knowing they aren’t getting any funny chemical on/in their skin each time they have to wash up.

Also, we do occasionally have to give it a single shake before I pump out some soap, it does tend to settle a bit.

The other good thing? You can purchase a 32 oz bottle of castile soap for around ten bucks. That makes about 16 ten ounce bottles of hand soap cost only about 60 cents each. Beat THAT, dollar store!

IMG_7090

Happy foaming!

1 comment:

  1. I am going to do this in the very near future. I bought two bottles of Dr. Bronner's (orange and peppermint) and love them both. They make my skin so soft and I love that they are non-toxic. Also, I stole your pic for Pinterest...your photos are always great! -em

    ReplyDelete