28 February 2016

Tried and True Recipe: Morning Glory Muffins

Please note, this is not my recipe. Not sure where it came from (other than through my Mama!) What I do know is that these are wholesome and tasty. 

Who doesn't love muffins? These days, I find myself packing multiple breakfasts (my kids all eat breakfast when they arrive at school), lunches and snacks... muffins sure do come in handy to throw in for one of those meals. These are similar to my apple-carrot muffins, but do pack a bit more fruit and veg punch!

It IS a bit more labor intensive than I usually prefer especially since I even have to make my own applesauce over here. But I always make at least a double batch so it makes it more worth it. Also, they're full of so much fresh fruit and veg goodness that I feel good letting the kids eat lots of them.



Morning Glory Muffins:
2 1/2 cups flour (I use a mixture of white and whole wheat, to make them more wholesome)
1 1/4 cups sugar (I use less sugar and would like to try with honey!)
3 t cinnamon
2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3 eggs
3/4 c applesauce
1/2 vegetable oil
1 t vanilla
2 c grated carrot
1 medium apple, peeled and grated
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple
1/2 c flaked coconut
1/2 raisins
1/2 chopped walnuts (I usually skip these) 

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl combine eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir wet mixture into dry just until moistened (it will be thick). 
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Fill muffins cups (I use a mix of regular and mini muffins) 2/3 full. Bake 20-24 mins (less for minis) until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment