12 April 2018

A Thing About Her Hair

Lil’ A has a thing about her hair.

As in: she wants it done how she wants it done. A mini-hair-dictator of sorts.

Well, we have been working on contentment with her. Accepting what is offered and being thankful even if it’s not her first choice or even if it’s not her choice at all. It’s hard to decide to start training in this area, because, well… it’s not pretty!

So this morning, when I told her that I was going to leave in the two French braids that I had done the day before, she was NOT happy.

She wanted a PONYTAIL.

She had her heart set on a PONYTAIL.

The mini-dictator proclaimed PONYTAIL!

This Mama stood her ground, in a patient and calm way (thank you God for helping me out there).

So then it was full-on for probably 10 minutes. Screaming and crying and running away. She hid somewhere in the apartment and I had a hunch what she was doing.

I found her under the computer table with her hair in in a wavy mass around her head.

She had taken her braids out.

She had disobeyed.

I told her that she had a consequence for disobeying and she was even unhappier than before to not get a treat from the snack-shack at school today. She refused to put her shoes on, was frantically trying to brush her hair and was screaming at me at the top of her lungs.

Poor thing.

When she finally had shoes on and was ready to walk out the door she looked at me and spoke through her weeping “I’ll never do that again Mommy! I’m sorry, will you forgive me?” She was broken by her sin, I could see it all over her. She regretted what she had done.

And my heart just about soared right on out of that house into the clouds.

My girl repented.

She saw the error of her ways and she knew she didn’t want to go back there again. And she made it right with me.

I’m so thankful.

I’m so thankful to see evidence of God living inside her spunky little 5 year old being. Evidence of a heart that’s learning right from wrong. Evidence of a girl who knows how to make things right in relationship after sin has gotten in the way and messed it up. And I’m thankful that God is gently walking me through this mothering thing and is helping me to (sometimes) remain patient and gentle with my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment