08 January 2015

The Golden Rule

As a kid I knew the golden rule very well…

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” (Matt 7:12)

But for kids it’s so often used in the context of don’t do to others what you wouldn’t want them to do to you. Am I right?

As a grown-up (seriously) I’ve learned more of what ‘The Golden Rule’ really says. I like this version from The Message…

Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior:

Ask yourself what you want people to do for you,

then grab the initiative and do it for them.

Add up God’s Law and Prophets and this is what you get.

The real Bible version (and the not the I-need-something-to-say-to-try-to-help-my-child-understand-why-they-shouldn’t-insertbadbehaviorhere-to-their-friends version) is much more positive.  And I love it!

It’s not hard for me to imagine what I wish others would do for me. I have all kinds of thoughts about what I wish other people would do. That’s kind of embarrassing to admit, but I think it’s normal? I mean, cause we’re human and all.

The real Bible version reminds me to take those thoughts, and then turn around and ‘grab the initiative and do it for THEM!’

That’s a most excellent idea. That’s a wonderful way to live. It’s so much more than the common reminder to stop doing mean stuff to people cause we don’t want mean stuff done to us. Take all my ideas and turn them outward. What a ‘simple rule-of-thumb guide for behavior’.

Thank you God!

No comments:

Post a Comment