10 October 2010

Homemade Soft Pretzels

Have you noticed my high frequency of food-related posts recently? Does it seem like I spend a lot of time in the kitchen?

Yeah, well... welcome to my life.

A couple weeks ago H, D and I made soft pretzels together. It's actually quite easy and so fun for little ones.



I prepared this simple dough:

Mix 1 package yeast with 2 T warm water and leave to dissolve.

Then stir in 1 1/3 c warm water and 1/3 c brown sugar (or less for less sweet pretzels). Add 5 cups flour and mix until a ball forms. Then knead until smooth.

Then I set the kids to work (play)...



rolling,



smooshing,



stretching,



and shaping!



A while later we had some pretzel balls and some kinda-pretzel-shaped pretzels.

The good thing is that it really doesn't matter what shape they take.



You boil them for just half a minute or so in some water with about 2 tablespoons baking soda in it,



throw them on a greased pan with some salt,



bake them at 475 for about 8 minutes in your incredibly dusty-on-the-inside and broken-seal oven (or a normal-person's clean sealing oven works fine too),



and presto!



Yummy homemade soft pretzels!

1 comment: