29 October 2014

Tried and True Recipes–Mama’s Banana Bread

IMG_9722

When we lived in Africa I made A LOT of banana bread. Often times it was a quadruple batch at one time. It was just a good snack/breakfast in a country where everything had to be made from scratch. I sometimes used wheat flour and flax seeds and vegetables to make it healthy. At some points in time I was sneaking so many vegetables in it (mostly carrots and zucchini) that it wasn’t really sneaky at all and I started calling it Garden Bread!

I tried many different banana bread recipes as ‘base recipes’ over the years.

But after all these years I always come back to this one. And now all the others have gone in the garbage. The only one left is…

… my Mama’s.

It’s simple. It’s delicious. And it ALWAYS gets compliments.

So here you have it:

  • 1/2 c butter
  • 3/4 c brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 c mashed banana (or more, or less!)
  • 1/4 c plain yogurt
  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 t salt
  • 1 t baking soda
  • (a handful of chocolate chips for good measure) *optional

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Beat in the remaining ingredients. One bowl, halleluiah!

Oven 350 for 50-60 minutes if using one large loaf pan.

Sometimes simple is best. Love ya Mama!

2 comments:

  1. You just always seem to find a way to touch my heart!! And, yes, it is a really GREAT recipe! Love you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's in the oven right now. Smells so good.

    ReplyDelete