23 May 2012

Tried and True Recipes–Potato and Vegetable Frittata

IMG_6781

This is one my favorite recipes, and once again… it’s vegetarian! Also, I don’t know where I got it, sorry. And you’ll need an oven-safe skillet for this.

1 t olive oil
1/2 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced (I use at least 4)
1/2 c diced green pepper (I skip this if I don’t have them)
1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick (I use two huge ones usually)
2 c cooked and diced potatoes (I bake them ahead of time)
1 c chopped fresh tomato
2 T black olives (I skip this)
4 eggs (or more)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 t dried oregano
1 pinch cayenne (I skip this)

Topping:
1 tomato, sliced
1/4 c shredded mozzarella
1/4 c grated parmesan (I skip this and add more mozzarella)

-Preheat broiler.
-In frying pan with ovenproof handle heat oil and saute onion, garlic and green pepper over low heat. Saute until vegetables are tender but not browned.
-Add zuchhini and then potatoes a few minutes later. Cook until potatoes are heated through and start sticking to the pan.
-Add tomatoes and olives and cook until tomatoes begin to give up juice.
-Meanwhile, beat eggs with salt, peppers and oregano.
-Pour eggs over vegetables. (If my veggies aren’t covered, I usually beat and add a couple more eggs).
-Arrange tomato slices over top and sprinkle cheese.
-Cook over low heat until eggs are almost set (firm on the edges but still runny in the middle)
-Slip pan under broiler until eggs  are set and cheese is browning.
-Cut in wedges and serve. (Also heats up wonderfully in the oven for leftovers the next day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment