27 September 2013

Goodbye Tours–Tea Lady

One of my all time favorite things to do in our city was go to the tea lady.

IMG_0268

Tea ladies have their little stands all over the city. Street corners. City parks (if you can call them that). Bus stations. Small alleys. Everywhere. They are surrounded by stools and small tables.

Women did not traditionally drink tea with a tea lady. But I often did. I couldn’t have achieved ‘traditional’ lady no matter how hard I tried. If I did go drink tea by myself, with out my husband, I did make a point to sit near the tea lady and chit chat a little with her and not the other men sitting around.

IMG_0271 

Over our years there, the re-bar and string stools were slowly replaced with plastic chairs… which I hated, by the way! I loved sitting on a low stool sipping tea. Plastic chair was just not the same. But times were a’changin’ and what could I do about it?

IMG_0273

If you went during the right morning or evening hours the ladies may also be preparing ‘zalabiyya’.  This day the children got a front row view.

IMG_0269

Basically deep fried donuts with sugar on top.

Basically yum.

IMG_0275

And tea was served. Chai with nana (mint) for Mikey and I. Caffeine-free hibiscus tea for the children.

IMG_0274

IMG_0276

IMG_0277

This particular morning we knew was going to be our last visit to the tea lady. I was sad.

IMG_0278

But Sweet N was carrying with her usual business of dirt digging and rock collecting

IMG_0279

IMG_0281

IMG_0282

With a little donut eating in between…

IMG_0283

IMG_0284

IMG_0286

IMG_0288

Goodbye tea lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment