21 May 2011

Thai Massage

Today during the kids' naptime I popped into the local Thai spa and asked for a massage, please.

I was nervous. Thai massage is different, I heard. But hey! I like to try new things, right?

Right.

"Thai massage is more energizing and rigorous than more classic forms of massage... Thai massage is a type of massage in Thai style that involves stretching and deep massage."

Um... yeah... thanks random internet sites. I should have read you before I went today! Not that I would have changed my mind... but I may have been more prepared!

I'd like to use a couple lists to illustrate my experience, okay?

But before I start the lists, can I just tell you that my experience started with them asking/telling me that I was pregnant?

Negatory.

But I sure do appreciate you asking.

One person calling the other person fat is a greeaat way to start off a relationship.

;)

First list.

Techniques that were used in my massage today:
1. The classic massage techniques, of course.
2. Pounding. Loud, too.
3. Stretching. Like I've never stretched before.
4. Pinching. I know. I was as shocked as you.
5. Hair Pulling. Yes, seriously.
6. Bone cracking. Like, lots of cracking bones and joints.
7. Elbows and knees. Now, I couldn't see, but at some points the pressure was so intense that it had to have been an elbow and/or a knee.

Also, there was some type of aromatherapy lotion used that either made my back feel like ice or it make it feel like it was burning off. I'm not sure which.

I mostly hid the pain I was feeling when I felt pain (which wasn't the whole time). I mean, I wasn't about to admit that I was too weak for Thai massage. But when the lady started to massage my armpits... that was enough... I burst out laughing!! I couldn't help it! She laughed with me! Ha!

Okay. Second list.

Some of my thoughts during the massage:
1. " Ouch."
2. "Aahhhh, that feels good."
3. "I didn't know that there was a bone under there."
4. "I didn't know bones liked to be massaged."
5. "Ouch"
6. "Hope she was also trained as a chiropractor... all this cracking is making me nervous."
7. "Aaaaaah"
8. "I do believe I have lost at least one layer of skin."
9. "Ouch"
10. "Is her finger in my ear?"
11. "It must be good for me if it's this painful, right? No one in their right mind would do this if it wasn't good for you..."
12. "Ouuuuuuuuch!!!"
13. "I think I'm gonna be bruised"
14. "Aaaah"
15. "Glad this is only costing me ten bucks."
16. "Ouch"
17. "I feel so relaxed..."

So... are you gonna try it someday? It's strangely painfully wonderful and worth trying! Maybe it'll be your thing...

1 comment:

  1. I was crying and laughing at the same time with the second list!! You are gifted with your discriptions!

    ReplyDelete