11 April 2012

3, 2, 1, Blastoff!

This is a flashback.

And what I mean by ‘flashback’ in this case is just that it took me a really long time to post about this fun stuff.

Anyway.

IMG_1574

One of my boy’s (or boys’? ha!) Christmas Gifts was a model rocket set!

Don’t worry. I knew nothing about model rockets either until Mikey and I were Christmas shopping and standing in the aisle at Hobby Lobby where all the model rockets are stocked.

Turns out that setting off model rockets was one of Mike’s jobs when he was a camp counselor many years ago. Who knew?!

It sounded fun to me!

IMG_1786

So, the day after Christmas we carried the supplies to the local park.

IMG_1788

Mike is the expert so he showed us how it all worked.

IMG_1795

Long fuse and igniter button…

IMG_1801

3…

IMG_1823IMG_1824

2, 1…

IMG_1825

Blastoff!

IMG_1802

Now these things go really REALLY high. High enough that I often completely lost sight of it up in the stratosphere and would be frantically looking around screaming “Where’d it go?! Where’d it go?!” Then someone would say “It’s right up there.” and I’d say “WHERE!!!” and they’d point and roll their eyes at me and I’d shut up. I promise I couldn’t see it. How can everyone else see it and not me?!

What is the stratosphere, anyway?

I dunno. But it sounds right.

IMG_1828

Anyway, if all goes well it floats back down with a parachute. This is one of the most exciting parts cause it’s WAAAAY up there and you never know where it might land, especially if the wind is a-blowin’. Which it was.

IMG_1816

And then it has to be retrieved. This usually involves running. I like this part to. Mind you, I don’t DO the running. I WATCH the running. Big difference.

IMG_1807

Success!

IMG_1818

Such a fun time.

IMG_1790

But wait. The fun didn’t stop there. Check out this cool airplane that launches with a huge rubber band. It may or may not have gotten stuck in a tree a time or two.

IMG_1791

Nice!

IMG_1836

Good times. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment