10 April 2012

A Hymn

Several Sundays ago before we had packed up our van and made the drive back to Ohio we sang “God of Grace and God of Glory”, a hymn, at church. It spoke to me right where I was at.

Where was I at, might you wonder?

I was/am at a point where the excitement of getting visas to go home to Africa has worn off a bit and I was/am recalling the a bit more of the reality of life there. I am still excited, don’t get me wrong!  Life is good in many ways in Africa but it’s also difficult in many ways too. It’s hot. It’s dirty (an understatement, to be sure). And it can be lonely. And there aren’t many places to go with kids or friends. There aren’t dozens of friends who live in the same building as me (like in Colorado). There isn’t family across the driveway or a short drive away (like here in Ohio). There isn’t an incredible preschool just down the hall (also Colorado).  And I can’t call my family from my cell phone while I’m shopping at Target. I can’t SHOP at Target!   Aahhhh! You get the jist…

Life in Africa is different. Let’s be real here: It’s hard. And I know I sound kinda negative but I think I’m honestly just being realistic about what kind of life we’ll soon be adjusting back to.

Anyway, these words spoke to me that day. And I sang them from my heart back to the One we do all of this for.

I prayed that God would grant me wisdom and grant me courage…

…for the facing of this hour.

…for the living of these days.

…lest we miss Thy Kingdom’s goal.

…that we fail not men nor Thee.

…serving Thee whom we adore.

God of grace and God of glory,
On Thy people pour Thy power.
Crown Thine ancient church’s story,
Bring her bud to glorious flower.
Grant us wisdom, grant us courage,
For the facing of this hour,
For the facing of this hour.

Lo! the hosts of evil ’round us,
Scorn Thy Christ, assail His ways.
From the fears that long have bound us,
Free our hearts to faith and praise.
Grant us wisdom, grant us courage,
For the living of these days,
For the living of these days.

Cure Thy children’s warring madness,
Bend our pride to Thy control.
Shame our wanton selfish gladness,
Rich in things and poor in soul.
Grant us wisdom, grant us courage,
Lest we miss Thy kingdom’s goal,
Lest we miss Thy kingdom’s goal.

Set our feet on lofty places,
Gird our lives that they may be,
Armored with all Christ-like graces,
In the fight to set men free.
Grant us wisdom, grant us courage,
That we fail not man nor Thee,
That we fail not man nor Thee.

Save us from weak resignation,
To the evils we deplore.
Let the search for Thy salvation,
Be our glory evermore.
Grant us wisdom, grant us courage,
Serving Thee Whom we adore,
Serving Thee Whom we adore.

Oooh, this song gets me in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment