13 November 2011

I Can’t Believe I’m Saying It

I never thought I’d say this.

I can’t believe it’s true.

Ready?

You sure?

K, here it is.

We’re going to India.

WE’RE GOING TO INDIA!

(pause to allow maximum sinking-inage)

(pause to contemplate the term sinking-inage)

(pause to beg you to forget that I ever said sinking-inage)

I really said it. And I can still breathe. I’m actually excited!

Are you wondering why all the drama about this little trip? Well, if you can believe it… this adventure loving, world-traveling girl would have been fine if I had died without my feet ever touching Indian ground. I love to see new places and experience new things, but India has always intimidated me like no other country on this planet. It was like, the last country I ever wanted to go to. It’s a wonder, now that I think about it, that God didn’t call us there, just because of my bad attitude. But then again, my attitude wasn’t so different about ever wanting to go to Africa ten years ago and He did call us there and now I lovingly call it home. But I digress.

So yes, we’re going to India. Today. Tonight, actually. Discount airlines so often only offer red-eye flights, why is that?! We planned to make this trip in January, but since we’re so delayed getting home to Africa we’re not going to want to turn around and leave again so soon.  And we’re not, like, super busy over here anyway. Now seems like the time!

We have dear friends who moved to Delhi several months ago and we have wanted to visit them and ask them a bazillion and one questions about this new season in their lives.  Also, for years Mike has wanted to visit a Pastor he met in 1996 and an orphanage that he worked at in 1998. Wow. That makes him sound kinda old. In 1996 I was a scrawny fourteen-year-old lurching around in the bed of my Sis’s lil’ stick-shift blue Mazda pickup truck while Dad taught her how to drive in the church parking lot. True story. In 1998, I was a scrawny sixteen-year-old lurching Dad and myself around in the lil’ stick-shift blue Mazda pickup truck in the church parking lot while Dad taught me how to drive.

Meanwhile, Mikey- in 1996 and 1998 - was apparently already off changing the world and meeting incredible Indian friends who would leave such an impression on him that he’d want to visit again approximately 15 years later. 

That makes me sound so lame.

Aaaaanyway…

It’s dual-purpose trip. Tri-purpose, maybe?

1. Visit friends and get bazillion and one answers to my bazillion and one questions.

2. Visit Kingdom projects and encourage faithful Kingdom-working Indian friends.

3. Get us to December, when we hope and pray that we will get visas to get back home!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhhhhh! What?!? I can't believe it! I want to know how Mike finally convinced you. I'm pretty proud of you (is that weird?) and can't wait to hear all about India. Wow.

    ReplyDelete