30 November 2011

The Taj Trip - Part III

After we left the Taj Mahal we headed straight for Agra Fort.

IMG_0829

Don’t worry, I hadn’t heard of it either.

IMG_0830

Huge red sandstone structures were all the rage back in the fifteen hundreds and this one was imposing and impressive!

This fort was built and occupied by Shah Jahan  (who built the Taj Mahal) and his beloved wife (who the Taj Mahal was built for) and family. But it was more than a royal residence… it also housed the military and thousands of other people. It was pretty much it’s own city back in the day, from what I understand.

IMG_0833

After we crossed the moat and the drawbridge (truly), we walked up this long ramp. When attacked (it happened), they’d roll big boulders down the ramp towards the enemy and pour hot water and oil down those slots you see on the walls.

Is this from the computer game Age of Empires or something?

Nope. It was real life, many many years ago.

IMG_0838

This was part of the royal residence. Gorgeous. The columned building on the right was Shaj Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal’s bedroom.

IMG_0850

The room was open air with no doors.  They say they preferred curtains over doors.

IMG_0855

Can’t you just see this space filled with richly colored curtains, bed coverings and pillows?

I can. My imagination filled in all the decor and it must have been beautiful if it’s anything like what I imagined.

IMG_0876

If you need some inspiration to picture the gorgeous Indian vibrancy of color, just look at these gorgeous ladies who were touring the same day as us.

IMG_0873

Here’s another pretty lady. But at this point in time she decided she was a puppy instead of a girlie.

“Vuff vuff” she said to me as she crawled up the step.

Then I smothered her in kisses, I think. Or if I didn’t, I should have, cause she’s just too darn cute.

IMG_0845

The kiddos had a great time exploring.

IMG_0852

And I’d be lying if I said we didn’t spend much of our time chasing them!

IMG_0841

IMG_0864

Our tour guide shared lots of details and facts with us about this fort. I was fascinated, in case you can’t tell by this long (and probably boring-to-you) post. I could read a whole book about the place and what life was like there five hundred years ago…

IMG_0865

Aaaanyway. This is the part of the palace that Shaj Jahan  lived when he was in house arrest for many years at the end of his life.  His second son killed three of his brothers and locked up his father so that he could rule.

I’d say he was overcome by a bit of greed and a hunger for power. So sad.

IMG_0866

But the house arrest accommodations weren’t too shabby. It was gorgeous.

IMG_0867

The kids strained to see the rooms. He wasn’t actually barred in there back in the day, they only had it blocked off from tourists like ourselves.

IMG_0875

This was the view from the balcony of the house arrest-quarters. Even though his wife had died decades ago, they say Shah Jahan gazed on the Taj Mahal daily from this distance and wept.

Poor guy. He really missed her. She must have been incredible.

IMG_0890

We explored further, into more public areas of the fort.

IMG_0894

This plaza is where they’d gather to hear the Emperor speak.

IMG_0900IMG_0903

The tour concluded as we walked back down the oil/water/boulder ramp. I exited with a great curiosity about life at this fort that I never even knew existed before that day.

I like traveling. It does funny things to ya like sparking great curiosity in unknown Indian forts.

And we weren’t yet done for the day…

No comments:

Post a Comment