07 November 2011

Tried and True Recipes: Tomato Bread Soup

IMG_9783

Glory to The Fannie Farmer Cookbook for this delicious soup recipe. I have to say that sometimes I like to call it Tomato Basil Soup instead of Tomato Bread Soup, cause let’s be honest… Tomato Bread Soup sounds a bit odd.  But whatever, it is what it is!  Miss Fannie obviously thought her name was just fine. It is - if nothing else - accurate, seeing as you do boil bread in the soup, if you’ve ever heard of such a thing, which I hadn’t until I started making this years ago.

Let’s get to it:

Heat in skillet and cook until soft:

5 T olive oil

             1 onion, sliced thin

Then add:  

1 1/2-2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes (or don’t peel them, if you’re lazy like me sometimes)

6 oz tomato paste

Cook entire skillet mixture on low heat for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine in large pan on stove:    

7 cups water

             4 cups chicken broth (I use bouillon)

              1 loaf (give or take) Italian (or other) bread ripped up

3 large cloves garlic, minced

              2 t salt (omit if you used bouillon for chicken broth)

2 T dried basil

Salt and pepper to taste

Bring to simmer for 5 minutes.

Combine contents of skillet into big pot off heat, stir, puree (those with stick blenders, rejoice!).

Done.

Amen and Halleluiah. You now have  enough soup to warm the bones of a small army.

3 comments:

  1. What is a stick blender? I assume it's a style of blender found more in the less developed parts of the world, but I could be totally clueless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have one! The immersible kind that you can stick right on the pan! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course!! I've just never called it that!! It's an immersible blender in my part of the world! ;)

    ReplyDelete