15 March 2012

Quote of the Day: Anne Voskamp

When Mikey was gone a couple weeks ago and I was caring for our children without him for a week and a half I think we did amazing well.  And during prayer one day I feel like God told me He was proud of me too. How amazing it was to sense that... thank you God!

But single parenting is hard hard stuff. But we had fun. And God gave me joy. And love. And energy. And patience, most of the time. But I would be lying if I said I didn’t have my moments. Moments when I may have gotten angry, frustrated and impatient. I may even have yelled. Okay, I did yell. More than once. And then later I’d ask my sweet offspring to forgive me for Mommy’s bad behavior and ask God to help me.

A friend shared is quote from Anne Voskamp with me awhile ago. And it was oh-so-appropriate…

Really?  I lay my head on the table.  Do I really smother my own joy because I believe anger achieves more than love?  That Satan's way is more powerful, more practical, more fulfilling in my daily life than Jesus' way?  Why else get angry?  Isn't it because I believe complaining, exasperation, resentment will pound me up into the full life I really want?  When I choose - and it is a choice - to crush joy with bitterness, am I not purposefully choosing to take the way of the Prince of Darkness?  Choosing the angry way of Lucifer because I think it is more effective - more expedient - than giving thanks? 

Oh man. So powerful. So true. And so relevant to lots of frustrations we can all experience in many areas of life.  I want to take the high road. I want to love. Anything other than that is Satan’s plan and why would I EVER want to do what he wants me to do?! Satan’s ways lead to destruction. Jesus, I want your way!

(Quote from One Thousand Gifts, p 126, by Ann Voskamp. Haven’t gotten my hand on this book yet, but want to!)

3 comments:

  1. Patricia read this book over a year ago, and it had such an impact on her that she is using it as groundwork for our current bible study.
    I think I will put a copy of it in your Easter basket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I still get an Easter Basket?!... and it'll have this book in it?! AWESOME!! Thanks. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you do get your copy of this book. I read it last year and loved it. I keep a One Thousand Gifts list myself, and find it helps my attitude.

    Temporary single parenting is hard! I'm doing it for two weeks now myself!

    ReplyDelete