28 August 2013

I Lied.

Yesterday Mikey returned from a two week trip.

IMG_3533

My girlie spent part of her morning coloring her sign and periodically checking her watch. Mike’s flight arrived at 8:15pm in our city and so even though it’s past the kids’ bedtime, I told them they could come with me to pick him up at the airport. 

Their Daddy travels a lot and there are very few opportunities for them to be a part of the drop off/pick up. Usually the flight is out of Denver (an hour and a half drive to get there) or leaves early morning or late night or yada yada.

This time it was feasible.

They.Were. Thrilled.

IMG_3556

We arrived a bit before the flight. I knew if we were running late I would have a nervous breakdown trying to pull it off. We made signs and purchased balloons and parked and walked inside and it was past bedtime and if we missed him by a couple minutes I would have been so disappointed. But that’s just me.

Soooo I made sure we had plenty of time.

It’s a good thing, cause we had to fight the throngs of people who had flocked to the airport to welcome their loved ones home.

IMG_3543

IMG_3544

Or not.

IMG_3546

My kids love the airport. It’s like home to them. :)

We were happily waiting, stress free when OF COURSE my daughter sheepishly tells me that she had to go potty!

“You whaaaaat? What if Daddy arrives while we’re in the bathroom?” I said in my head. “AAAAHHHHHHH”!!!!

IMG_3549

Waiting. And taking deep breaths.

IMG_3554

Bathroom mirror portrait. I don’t look stressed out, do I?

Ha! I was actually fine. Thank goodness I planned to have extra time for setbacks like potty stops. Somehow I guess I just knew that might happen…

IMG_3560

They actually watched his plane land.

IMG_3564

And you can’t tell, but a luggage cart went by outside and H excitedly told me… “Look Mommy! It’s the cart carrying soupcases!”

I hope he never stops calling them soupcases.

Maybe I don’t mean that. But it’s darn cute.

IMG_3561

Little one was pretty chill.

IMG_3562

We watched. And waited.

IMG_3565

And I lied.

Earlier in the day I had lied and told Mike that I was leaving the kids at home with a friend. He believed me. Then I lied and told him that I was just going to pull around the pickup and not come into the airport.

Oops.

I had to explain to the kids that I lied to Daddy so we could surprise him.  H comforted me… “It’s not a lie Mommy! It’s just a joke!”

Okay then. It’s a joke.

IMG_3568

They stood like this for awhile waiting for Daddy to be the one walking around the corner. In the meantime we cheered MANY a passenger. People got a kick out of my little cuties and their signs and balloons.

And then he came!! And there are not photos of that because I switched media and took a video instead of photographs.

But it was so sweet.

And I got tears in my eyes.

IMG_3569

My kids have such a good Daddy.

IMG_3571

N squeezed him and then proceeded to hit her balloon around with her sign.

IMG_3572

She had moved on pretty quickly.

IMG_3573

Okay, very quickly. Gotta love her.

IMG_3574

Reunited and it feels so good! (Do you hear it in your head?!)

He was definitely surprised and it was such fun to let the kids be a part of pulling off a fun surprise for Daddy. They did awesome.

IMG_3582

Later at home it was back to the way it’s supposed to be…

Joy fills my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment