12 August 2013

Seasons

I say a lot of prayers lately that God will help me enjoy and appreciate each season in it’s time. And then to help me rejoice and let go as one season passes to welcome the another.

This can be hard for me, especially when it comes to babies growing up.

Having tiny ones isn’t the easiest stage in the world, but it’s just so darn special. And fun. And dear. And I love it. I don’t even know what to say. It’s just so precious and such a gift. These tiny newborns fresh to the world that are nearly part of their Mama’s very own body. In their minds, they are part of their Mama. They sleep so much and learn so quickly and stare into your eyes and soon they grin at you and your world could stop FOREVER and you could be happy with that baby grinning at you for the rest of time. Is there anything like it in the world?

It’s been even more poignant for me this time around, since my Lil’ A is the probably the last babe that I will carry and birth myself. I have embraced the season and loved each stage so far, but it’s still bittersweet.

In May I finally bit the bullet and sorted through my baby’s shelves and other stored items to clear out the newborn things. In the past I have I have stored for the next baby, but this time it’s mostly goodbye.

IMG_1869

Oh, the pile of sweet things. I can hardly take it.

IMG_1870

Goodbye tiny socks.

IMG_1871

Goodbye tiny things that my firstborn wore almost six years ago. Goodbye tiny mittens.

IMG_1872

Goodbye precious sleeper.

IMG_1873

Goodbye cute outfits that both of my newborn girlies wore.

IMG_1874

My Auntie (hearts) me. I love this one.

IMG_1875

Brought H home from the hospital in this one.

IMG_1877

Teeny onesies. Nothing like them in the world. When preparing for babies I would carefully fold the tiny onesies, amazed that they would soon be filled with a body full of life. It was the ultimate in expectation.

IMG_1881

Goodbye cupcake sleeper.

IMG_1883

Goodbye little turtle onesie. Didn’t my boy just wear this yesterday when we took him back to Africa?

I wiped my eyes as I folded.

I pray again for perspective. Again for joy in each and every season for what it is. This will be a lifelong prayer.

Deep breath.

IMG_1879

The baby is growing. She healthy. What  a gift that she is outgrowing her clothes. The perspective gently rolls in. Yes, it’s goodbye to sweet clothes and tiny newborn snuggles.

IMG_1880

But it’s hello to the next season of growth. To the next set of clothes that my daughter will wear as she learns to grab and giggle and roll.

Seasons. Thank you Jesus. I embrace.

Ecclesiastes 3

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment