29 July 2010

Dhow (Wooden Boat) Ride

Tonight we found our way to the Corniche in Doha. We were hoping for a boat ride and we got one!



We rented the whole boat for about ten bucks. Fair price I'd say for a ride on the Persian Gulf with a gorgeous nighttime skyline to look at!



It really was so beautiful! It was an inlet and the city and all it's lights wrapped around us. I love the bright modernity of the city contrasting the older worn look of the wooden boat.



Once we left shore the driver turned down the lights and turned up the American dance music. I loved it. Part of me even wanted to get up and dance around in the empty patch of red carpet. It was calling out to me to use it as my own personal dance floor.

But I restrained myself. I settled to discreetly shake my shoulders to the beat. I didn't want to actually support the stereotype that us white girls like to dance to loud music. Cause that is what the rest of the world believes, in case you didn't know.



Here's my proof. When this family boarded the boat and it floated away from the shore, what do you suppose the Indian driver chose for their listening pleasure?

Some relaxing Arabic instrumentals. He didn't expect those ladies to enjoy the loud American dance music, now did he? I'm sure they probably would have in the privacy of their own home! But they'd never be allowed to show it, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment