16 October 2011

Tried and True Recipe: Bean and Veg Burritos

Glory to some Woman’s Day Magazine for this recipe. I’ve had it for years on this little rip-out card.

IMG_7091

Although mine never look quite that delicious…

IMG_7092

One reason I love this recipe is because all the prep can be done ahead of time and then when you’re ready to cook, it just takes about ten minutes to heat it up and get it on the table.

Here my stuff just sat out on the counter until I was ready to whip it up in time for dinner. I love it when I can do preparations ahead of time!

IMG_7003

Saute for about 6 mins on medium high heat in a little oil:

1 zucchini (about 8 oz.), diced (I use more than this)

1 2/3 c. sliced onion (does not need to be that exact)

Add and stir 30 secs until fragrant:

a pinch of chili powder (or more or less or almost none, if you’re spice wimps like us)

Add:

1 bag (10 oz) fresh spinach, coarsely chopped, a handful at a time (or fresh arugula, which is what we have in Africa)

Stir in and cook until heated:

1 can black beans, rinsed (or pre-cooked, frozen and then thawed white beans, if you’re us)

1 can corn, drained

Serve in tortillas with sour cream (or plain yogurt), lime wedges and salsa.

Complication is added if you have to make your own salsa or flour tortillas, which we do. But if you’re in a place where you can buy some prepared foods, this meal would whip up in just the right amount of time it takes to set the table, nuke some tortillas and slice a lime.

Please don’t skip the lime wedges… it takes this tasty burrito to a whole new level!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, sounds delicious! I'm adding it to my menu for next week. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete