02 October 2011

Tried and True Recipe: Sweet and Sour Sauce


This sauce can be served with rice and sauteed veggies or meatballs or chicken in any and all forms or even fish probably, if you're into that. Serve it with whatever you got a hankerin' to be sweet and sour. It’s simple, delicious, and (obviously) isn’t picky about what it’s served with.

Combine and cook for 3 mins in a big pot:

2 1/2 cups cubed and drained pineapple (I use canned), save the juice

2 T butter

Add:

1/3 c. pineapple juice

2 c. green peppers, chopped

1 onion, chopped

Add:

1-3 T soy sauce

2 T vinegar

1/3 c. sugar, white or brown

Mix separately and add:

2 T cornstarch

1/3 c. pineapple juice

Dissolve, add to cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring until thick:

1 bouillon cube

1 c. boiling water

Simmer one hour.


Optional: Add other veggies before simmering, such as julienned carrots, green beans, etc.

Glory to The Wycliffe International Cookbook for this one. These cookbooks must be rare now, selling for a hundred or more dollars?! Nuts! I don't understand it. Or maybe I do, cause I wouldn't want to sell mine for even that much... that is how much I love it! Good thing I bought mine on May 13, 2006 for only $16.74 (as Amazon so kindly informed me when I just did a search on it). Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. $100, yowzers! That's some cookbook! Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try some of these out for myself as today starts day one of healthier eating again (since our Spanish house guests returned to Spain and I should not be eating out or cooking fancy stuff as much). Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. I kindda just threw $100 dollars away didn't I? Well, I hope whoever picks up my cookbook will put it to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I thought about you when I looked it up! Don't think about it Elaine. Did you put it in there just before you moved? Quick everyone! To the boutique! Ha!

    ReplyDelete