05 October 2011

Tried and True Recipe: Crepes

Crepes for breakfast on Friday (the first weekend day in our region of the world) became a tradition a few years ago. It’s stuck and I’m so glad.

Today, the recipe! I used to use the recipe in Joy of Cooking, but then I discovered the recipe below from Gina’s Skinny Recipes. It’s much healthier. This one I’m gonna stick with. You should know that I normally double it and have a few left over for snacks later in the day. Although I wouldn't’ have any left over if I didn’t cut my son off at 4 or 5. He loves these things…

You’ll need:

  • 1 cup flour (I do half wheat and half white)
  • 1 1/2 cups 1% milk (I actually use whole cream milk cause that is what we have)
  • 1/3 cup egg whites (or 2 large egg whites)
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 tsp oil
  • Toss all the ingredients in your blender and whirl it around, (if you don’t have a blender, just whisk it till your arm gets tired) then put the lid on it and throw it in the fridge for the night. Or just use it right away if you failed to plan ahead. But they’ll turn out waaaay better if you whip it up the day before. Trust me on this one. There is some scientific explanation about the gluten in the flour changing and blah blah blah. Just trust me, okay?! Thanks. Also, it’s just a nice feeling to go to bed knowing that your special weekend breakfast is already half made!

    In the morning, give it another whirl in the blender while you heat up your pan or two pans, if you’re an efficiency addict like me.

    Then check out this post for my frying tips and our toppings of choice. Actually, you probably shouldn’t wait until that point in your cooking process to check out that post. Cause then you’re bound to have some smoking pans and a fire-alarm going off as you hunt down your laptop, boot it up, try to remember what it was you were going to look up, find the web-page and read the long wordy post about frying crepes.

    Yeah, you should definitely read that ahead of time. K?

    And don’t be discouraged if you first couple tries don’t seem quite right. It took me a long time to improve my technique and they still turn out different every time. Luckily, they don’t have to look good to taste good!

    2 comments:

    1. I'm lovin' this whole sharing recipes idea you've got goin' on. This one in particular does make me wonder why this every weekend traditional breakfast doesn't carry over to the good ol' USA (Ohio in particular!!) ;)
      Seriously, I think it would be helpful for you to explain the process of actually frying up the crepes. I know it's not just like frying up some pancakes!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks Mom! There is a link to a page about my frying method after the recipe. Maybe it's easy to miss. And I don't know why the tradition doesn't carry over to the States. Lack of routine, I think. Maybe next time... xoxo

      ReplyDelete