23 October 2011

Tried and True Recipes: Linguine with Zucchini and Chickpeas

image

Glory to Real Simple for this recipe (and the photo). This is another vegetarian recipe that is simple and delicious. I especially love the chickpeas in this recipe… they add protein and good flavor too.

  • 12 ounces linguine (3/4 box) ( I use whole wheat noodles when I can find them)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 small zucchini, cut into thin half-moons (I use way more than this, zucchini cooks down a lot and the more veg, the better!)
  • kosher salt (or regular salt, duh)
  • 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
  • 2 cloves garlic, sliced (or more… this is your main flavorer, if that’s a word)
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (too hot for me!)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
Directions
  1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water, drain, and return the pasta to the pot.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini and ½ teaspoon salt.
  3. Cook the zucchini, tossing often, until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
  4. Add the chickpeas, garlic, and red pepper and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
  5. Toss the pasta with the reserved pasta water and ¼ cup of the Parmesan.
  6. Divide the pasta among bowls and top with the zucchini mixture and the remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan.

4 comments:

  1. Just in time for supper! Thank you! (I don't have any zucchini or kusa, so maybe I'll try carrots--the only veggie in my fridge today--or spinach from the freezer.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. suz, tried this recipe for dinner and it was delic....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you tried it and liked it Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm.... I am now eating my first shot at this recipe.. amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!! I'm going to try the burrito one too!

    ReplyDelete